Earlier this evening i met a friend who wanted to introduce a weight management program to me. Having reluctantly fallen into his marketing technique a few months earlier, and the numerous appointments he tried to make since then, I finally relented and meet him to it over and done with.
The first thing which added to my already unwillingness to meet him was that he tried to reschedule the appointment to Tuesday... on the day itself. To which I replied that I already set an appointment for that day. And in the previous week when he called to arrange, he mentioned he would call on Wed again to confirm the appointment. Naturally that would be a proper thing to do when setting a 'business' appointment. But... he didn't. So today, I was tempted to sms to ask if our said arrangement is still valid, but I stopped myself. Well, HE was the one who set the appt, so it's HIS responsibilty. I was wishing that he didn't remember so I didn't have to go.
By lunch time, he did sms. And the second thing which got me annoyed was that in the message he said "Hi, see you at 6.30pm this evening?" And i went wtf.. we fixed at 7pm wasn't it?
I replied, "Hi, we arranged at 7pm wasn't it? That's the earliest I can reach town. If you have another appointment, we can always reschedule." And secretly hoping that I don't have to meet him this evening. He then replied. "7pm is fine." Damn...
Ended up I did go for the appointment. Reached there on time at 7pm and went up to the company office. Lo and behold! What i saw when I got out of the lift was the branding of a direct sales company. So why was I not surprise that such weight management programs are only offered by such companies? I'm not saying they are bad. But rather they are very effective during the course of the programme. The real challenge comes in when the program ends, and the willpower to maintain the proper eating and exercise habits come from the individual alone. Now, to me, that's the tough part.
Now comes the 3rd incident which totally put me off in meeting this friend. HE WAS LATE FOR THE APPT! I invited myself into the waiting area for a good 20mins before he came out from his other appointment. Nevermind, such things happens. But I'm already in my switched off mood already. Or in other words, I'm in a biatchy mood. So when he introduced the program details, I just said wat came to mind about the post-program scenarios.
He invited me to do a free body checkup on an OMRON weight scale and body fat analyser. And also a Biophotonic scanner which does a deeper scan into other stuff in the body. This cost $5. Well, I'd say this is the most valuable info I gotten out of the whole session of about 30mins there.
Now the biophotonic scanner is interesting. I place my palm on the scanner and it is able to measures through the fleshy part of my palm
1) Anti-Oxidant score - the index of anti-oxidants in my body. And I got 27k out of the ideal 50k values
2) Weight
3) Body Fat %
4) Skeletal muscles % - in layman's terms, the quality of muscle. Mine is a 32% out of the ideal 34% and above
5) Visceral fats - are fats surrounding the vital organs. Tougher fats to lose and a case of higher concerns than those fats beneath the skin. I got a score of 17 out of the ideal 8-9.
6) Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) - measures the rate of energy burned by the body at state of rest. Mine's about 1950 which is on the high side. Which also means i get tired and hungry easily. For a reference, those yoga masters' rate are at the region of about 600-700.
For me, those few that are a cause for concern would be the visceral fats and BMR.
So at the end of the day, I may be annoyed with this friend of mine, but I guess the checkup was worth the while afterall. Then again, they probably have tweaked the scanner to give an offset reading. Haha.. but well, tweaked or not, the results did get me looking into what I can improve on for my health.
So let's see... time to kick up my swimming regime a notch higher!
For those who wants more info, just click on the url for each of the highlighted factors.
No comments:
Post a Comment