Met up with friends for 2 events over the weekend. First was a farewell dinner on Sat, for a Uni fren who is going off to work in the States. Second was a ROM celebration of a JC classmate on Sunday.
It was great to meet up with the uni gang again on Saturday. I would say this gathering left most of us with mixed feelings. At least it did for me.
All turned out well. Most of us managed to make it for the farewell dinner. And as usual, we all catched up with each other what we were up to since the time we last met. Like I said, the gathering left me with mixed feelings. For one, it's envy and happiness, that my friend is able to land such a good job in the States. It's expected of him, as he's one of the better ones in school. I shouldn't say envy, it's more of admiration. I know it's a job that I'm never up to. It's not even within my scope/interest/capabilities. Then what is my scope/interest/capabilities? It left me pondering that night. Where m I heading? What do I want in life? What m I good in? Those were the thots in my head when we parted and left for home.
Well, at the end of the night, I realised. To each his own. Everyone has something that we are good in and there's definitely a niche for everyone. Perhaps looking at how good someone else had done serves as a purpose to inspire us to excel in our own areas, and not to discourage us in any other way.
The other event was my friend's wedding. Juz the ROM only and no dinner yet. But she and her hubby had booked a chalet and invited friends and relatives over for a mini celebration. Looking back, we had known each other for 10 years already. Wow! was all our replies. And it all seems like only a few years back (yesterday is way too recent).
Just got me thinking again. Gone are the group outings to movies, arcades, KTVs and fastfoods after school hours. We all are stepping into the next phase in life where people are posted overseas for work, weddings, housewarmings and newborn baby showers are the kind of events that we'll all be attending so very often in the years to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment