Wednesday 10th
Went for a meeting with my boss. It was a meeting with one of the govt agencies on a new project collaboration. And it was kinda a last min notice for me when I was told only in the morning that I’ll be tagging along for the meeting.
“What is the meeting about?” I asked.
Well, initially I thought it was another seminar where we try to
What followed was that I was given a pile (ok, not a pile, just 18 pages) of info to read up. Apparently it’s quite an interesting project and much have already been done over at Germany (where the main branch of our company is). So all we need is to customize it to our customers’ needs. Simple enough.
We set off in the afternoon. Thinking as all govt agencies have their own offices, we both ASSumed that that’s where the meeting will be held. So therefore place X is where we should be heading to. Halfway through the trip, my boss fished out the email he printed earlier, and found out that the meeting is held at place Y, which is the home of another govt agency (sheesh!)
“Oh ok, so I guess we better inform the taxi driver then” I said. So leaning forward I told the uncle the change of destination. The driver was a little surprised, but more due to the sudden change in destination than not knowing how to get there.
Then my boss did something rather interesting. He was seated behind the driver’s seat, but he tried showing the printed email to the driver, meaning he had to look away from the road and try reading the address over his shoulder.
Gah! The horror of what my boss tried to do! I quickly repeat the destination to the driver to reconfirm the place. -_-;;; duh…. Interesting boss I have.
~ ~ ~
Thursday 11thFeeling tired on Thurs evening so I skipped my gym session. On my way home, I decided to pop by Phoon Huat which has a shoppe near my place. It’s a shoppe which sells bakery items as well as some ingredients for baking and bubble tea mix.
Ended up with an urge to bake something since the last cake didn’t turn out as expected. Walked around the aisle for a while and assured that I still have enough ingredients for a cake, I bought only a few cake boxes and a tub of vegetable shortening. This contains less fats than butter and half the amount is required as compared to using butter as one of the ingredients.
So here’s what I did for the evening. Some help from mum and voila!

Again it didn’t rise as much as I thot. Anyway, this is still an experimental cake going through the R&D phase. Not bad I would say. Didn’t know what to call it, coz it’s pretty much lumping extra (edible) ingredients into the otherwise standard plain ‘butter’ cake.
Dad came by and asked if it’s a rockbun. Hmm… interesting name. So that’s how I decided to call it WhiteChocChipRaisin&Maple Rockbun. Neat huh?
Would have expected it to be somewhat hard and taste almost like biscuit. But no, it was quite spongy, to say the least. Had a tasting session on Friday over at my aunt’s place. She’s a little picky with food, but to have her say that it’s quite nice is very much an encouragement. So did my cousins and parents.
Well, not expecting it to be perfect. And im glad they are all honest with me so that I can improve on the receipe.
After all, it’s just food science. And with the right combination of ingredient, anyone can come up with their own
The only thing I can’t measure now is the right temperature of the oven. Hmm... need a thermometer to find out the value. Engineer’s habit.
Back to refining the recipe.
3 comments:
zomg! Frankenkake!!!
Looks weird but then again our Marble-cake-wannabe-that-tastes-like-brownie was flat and weirdish too. But it tastes good :D
Ok, spongey kake for next chalet! Onz! Don't forget to call baking committee. Neh neh.
just make sure b*b* and c*b*e do the mixing in the -same- direction.
*snicker*
we got cctv!
oh yah...and teach a*w*i how to sift flour...correctly
Post a Comment