Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Hair for Hope 2006

The moment I saw the poster at the bus shelter, I had the urge to go help out in anyway I can.

And a few days later today, I signed up for it. Incidentally I was the 300th volunteer when I signed up.

Anyone interested? Read it here.

This apparently, is an annual event organised by the good people of the Children Cancer Foundation. They hope to raise funds for the children who are stricken with cancer and have to go for chemotherapy. We all know that going through that therapy is a very painful process and most of the time the side effects are nausea and the loss of hair. On one hand, it is to put us in their shoes and make us understand how one would feel when we are being looked upon. On the other hand, it is to give the children mental support that "Hey, losing hair is no big deal"

But then some may ask... Is it really out of concern or just merely self-glorification? Some said it was lame. Surely, for most of us, it's quite difficult to lose that crown of glory, especially for somebody else's cause. Wat do we get back in return? Nothing. Or people giving weird looks and whispering behind ur back about what could be the possible reasons for one to be bald. I understand it's even more difficult for ladies. Somehow we're in this society which sees that ladies who shaved their heads clean (less those religious people) isn't something of a norm

No, I'm not condemning anyone here. We all have our difficulties and we owe no one any explanations to things we do and not do. I guess for me, it's just something I feel that I can help with. Probably it's just a small gesture on my part, but perhaps it meant alot to the organisers and to the children and the families who benefit from such events.

Besides going nude (for the scalp), the volunteers are also given a donation card (aka pledge card) so that they can go around to help raise funds (so that's where the main funds come from). Hopefully Singaporeans are not already tired of all these charity events and have gotten sick them.

In any case, around the end of the month, if anyone approaches u on the streets, and is coincidentally bald, perhaps he/she had gone for this Hair for Hope event and is trying to raise some funds for the kids who are ill. Guess it doesn't really harm to contribute a dollar or two to them, does it? =)

No comments: